Chinese Evangelical Free Church of Greater Chicago
Sunday Worship Service & Meetings
主日崇拜 & 聚會
Cantonese Sunday Worship 粵語主日崇拜 10 AM
with Mandarin Headset Interpretation 國語耳機翻譯
Join Virtual Cantonese Sunday Service 參加線上粵語主日崇拜 10 AM
English Sunday Worship 英語主日崇拜 10 AM
Children's Sunday School 兒童主日學
Every Sunday 每週日 10 AM
Virtual Church Prayer Meeting 線上祈禱會
Every Friday 每週五 8 PM
Adult Chinese Fellowship 中文成人團契
Every Other Saturday 隔週六 6:30PM
Potluck Dinner 自带一道菜的聚餐 5:30PM
Joshua Fellowship 約書亞團契
Last Sunday of the Month 每月最後一個星期日 1PM
Pastoral Staff 教牧同工
中文事工牧師 Chinese Ministry
梁永勝牧師 Rev. Vincent Leung
Rev. Vincent Leung was born and raised in Hong Kong. He received his Master of Divinity from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. His full-time ministry experiences include gospel drug rehabilitation and literature ministries. He has served in this church since 2012. He is passionate about guiding small group Bible studies and discipleship. His academic interests include apologetics, postmodernism, comparative religion and Chinese culture. He loves sports, art, and outdoor life, like badminton, table tennis, kayaking, martial arts, cycling, Chinese music, calligraphy, gardening and camping. His wife, Lillian Yeh, is from Taiwan and has been serving in CCCM.
英文事工牧師 English Ministry
余建宇傳道 Pastor Gordon Yee
Pastor Gordon Yee was born and raised in Chicago. He received his bachelor's degree from the University of Illinois at Chicago in psychology and minors in sociology and Asian studies, a certificate of advanced studies from the Moody Bible Institute, and a Master of Divinity from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. He has served in church ministry, as a volunteer, since high school, especially in music ministry and youth worker. He has been in his current position since February 2019. He is passionate about discipleship and preaching and teaching.
Connect with Us 聯絡我們
35週年紀念 Annivnniversary Celebration
Upcoming Events 節目預告
Adult Chinese Fellowship Schedule 中文成人團契時間表 (Saturday 週六)
Our Statement of Faith 我們的信仰
1. We believe in one God, Creator of all things, holy, infinitely perfect, and eternally existing in a loving unity of three equally divine Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Having limitless knowledge and sovereign power, God has graciously purposed from eternity to redeem a people for Himself and to make all things new for His own glory.
The Bible 聖經
2. We believe that God has spoken in the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, through the words of human authors. As the verbally inspired Word of God, the Bible is without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for salvation, and the ultimate authority by which every realm of human knowledge and endeavor should be judged. Therefore, it is to be believed in all that it teaches, obeyed in all that it requires, and trusted in all that it promises.
The Human Condition 人的狀況
3. We believe that God created Adam and Eve in His image, but they sinned when tempted by Satan. In union with Adam, human beings are sinners by nature and by choice, alienated from God, and under His wrath. Only through God’s saving work in Jesus Christ can we be rescued, reconciled and renewed.
Jesus Christ 耶穌基督
4. We believe that Jesus Christ is God incarnate, fully God and fully man, one Person in two natures. Jesus—Israel's promised Messiah—was conceived through the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived a sinless life, was crucified under Pontius Pilate, arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father as our High Priest and Advocate.
我們相信耶穌基督是神道成了肉身，是完全的神、也是完全的人，一個位格有兩個本性。耶穌 – 神應許以色列的彌賽亞 – 從聖靈感孕，為童貞女馬利亞所生。祂一生無罪，在本丟彼拉多手下被釘於十字架，從死裡肉身復活，升到天上、坐在天父神的右邊，作我們的大祭司和中保。
The Work of Christ 基督的工作
5. We believe that Jesus Christ, as our representative and substitute, shed His blood on the cross as the perfect, all-sufficient sacrifice for our sins. His atoning death and victorious resurrection constitute the only ground for salvation.
The Holy Spirit 聖靈
6. We believe that the Holy Spirit, in all that He does, glorifies the Lord Jesus Christ. He convicts the world of its guilt. He regenerates sinners, and in Him they are baptized into union with Christ and adopted as heirs in the family of God. He also indwells, illuminates, guides, equips and empowers believers for Christ-like living and service.
The Church 教會
7. We believe that the true church comprises all who have been justified by God's grace through faith alone in Christ alone. They are united by the Holy Spirit in the body of Christ, of which He is the Head. The true church is manifest in local churches, whose membership should be composed only of believers. The Lord Jesus mandated two ordinances, baptism and the Lord’s Supper, which visibly and tangibly express the gospel. Though they are not the means of salvation, when celebrated by the church in genuine faith, these ordinances confirm and nourish the believer.
Christian Living 基督徒生活
8. We believe that God's justifying grace must not be separated from His sanctifying power and purpose. God commands us to love Him supremely and others sacrificially, and to live out our faith with care for one another, compassion toward the poor and justice for the oppressed. With God’s Word, the Spirit’s power, and fervent prayer in Christ’s name, we are to combat the spiritual forces of evil. In obedience to Christ’s commission, we are to make disciples among all people, always bearing witness to the gospel in word and deed.
Christ's Return 基督再來
9. We believe in the personal, bodily and glorious return of our Lord Jesus Christ. The coming of Christ, at a time known only to God, demands constant expectancy and, as our blessed hope, motivates the believer to godly living, sacrificial service and energetic mission.
Response and Eternal Destiny 回應和永恆終局
10. We believe that God commands everyone everywhere to believe the gospel by turning to Him in repentance and receiving the Lord Jesus Christ. We believe that God will raise the dead bodily and judge the world, assigning the unbeliever to condemnation and eternal conscious punishment and the believer to eternal blessedness and joy with the Lord in the new heaven and the new earth, to the praise of His glorious grace. Amen.
A Brief History 簡史
It has long been the desire of Rev. and Mrs. Donald Carlson, retired Free Church missionaries to China and Hong Kong, to plant a Chinese-speaking Evangelical Free Church in the Chicago metropolitan area to meet the needs of the growing ethnic Chinese population. In December 1987, during a reception in honor of the Rev. Kim Hoi Chan, President of the Evangelical Free Church of China, the idea of starting a Chinese Evangelical Free Church was shared by Rev. Carlson, Rev. Chan, and Dr. Simon Chung, a layman. They also learned at that time that several Chinese families in the area had in fact been interested in starting a Cantonese-speaking church. Convinced that it was God's leading, Rev. and Mrs. Carlson helped to organize a bi-weekly Bible study, meeting in the homes of these families. The group was also blessed by the ministries of Pastor Man-Chee Kwok and the Rev. Stephen Kwok, both pastors of the Chinese Evangelical Free Church of China and were pursuing studies at the Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. Rev. Samuel Chung from the Olivet Narzarene University provided much of hte leadership in the beginning. They were joined also by Dr. Maureen Yeung who was also pursuing studies at the Trinity Evangelical Divity School, and Ms. Stella Siu, a graduate student in counseling at the Wheaton Graduate School provided much leadership and assitance for the fledgling congregation.
In the ensuing months, the group increasingly felt God's guidance towards the formation of a Church to further its visions as a community of Christians and to evangelize the ethnic Chinese population. With the help of Rev. Carlson, the first Sunday Worship Service was held on September 11, 1988 in facilities graciously provided by the Arlington Heights Evangelical Free Church, Arlington Heights, Illinois. Rev. Donald Carlson served as the Church's Advisory Pastor until he went to be with the Lord in July, 1989. At the same time, Rev. Samuel Chung, a former Free Church pastor from Hong Kong, joined the group and later became an Advisory Pastor. With the help and guidance of Rev. Curt Foss of the Great Lakes District Office, a Steering Committee was formed in November, 1988 to ponder and guide this church planting ministry.
On April 15, 1989, the Steering Committee decided that the group shall proceed to incorporate as a Church affiliated with the Great Lake District Conference of the Evangelical Free Church of America. The decision was unanimously approved by the congregation. On October 9, 1989, The Chinese Evangelical Free Church of Greater Chicago was accepted into membership of the Great Lakes District of the Evangelical Free Church of America at its Annual Conference in Moline, Illinois. Dr. Simon Chung attended the meeting and received the Certificate of Membership on behalf of the Church.
On December 10, 1989, the first membership meeting was held with twenty-two persons admitted into charter memberships of the Chinese Evangelical Free Church of Greater Chicago. Rev. John Hsu was Worship Service speaker and Rev. Curt Foss, then Associate Superintendant of the EFCA's Great Lakes District and member of the church's Steering Committee, gave the charge and conducted the induction of the founding members of the church.
On March 10, 1990, A Thanksgiving Service and Installation of the first Church Board was held in the chapel of the Arlington Heights Evangelical Free Church.
Pastors and Workers
Rev. and Mrs. Donald & Margarite Carlson pastored the beginning of the church. Rev. Manchee Kwok then provided much of the leadership and ministry between 1989 and 1996 until his return to teach at the Evangel Seminary in Hong Kong. Rev. Stephen Kwok, Rev. Samuel Chung, Dr. Maureen Yeung, Ms. Stella Siu, Rev. Kim-Hoi Chan, Rev. and Mrs. Robin Fung, and Rev. and Mrs.Ernest Lui who were at various times pursuing studies at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Olivet Nazarene University, and Wheaton Graduate School also were important contributors to the Church's ministry.
In 1996, Pastor Gary Chan, a graduate of the Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and church member at the time was called to be the Church's first full-time pastor. He was suceeded in 1999 by the Rev. Yoman Man in the same year. Rev. Man served on a part-time basis for the next four years. He was joined later by Pastor Brady Morishita, the church's first part-time English Ministry pastor who served until 2004. Rev. Man and Pastor Morishita left in 2004 to assume pastorates in Oak Park, Illinois and Oakland, Michigan respectively. In 2007, the Church called Rev. Chi-Chuen Lau as pastor. Rev. Lau resigned and left the church on September 1st, 2009.
The Church Building
In the initial years, the congregation met for Sunday worship service at various times at the Arlington Heights Evangelical Free Church, Thomas Junior High School, and the Olive School.
On June 29, 2008, the congregation held its first meeting in the new church building at 310 E. Hintz Road in Arlington Heights, Illinois. Dedication of the church building was held on October 18, 2008.